NFL Draft, Round 1 is Done! (Debatable Winners)
5/9/14 – by James Fedewa
- Cleveland Browns: (…and it felt just like the movie Draft Day, but Cleveland did better than the movie). The Cleveland Browns made a couple moves and trades in the first round of the draft, still drafted the #1 rated cornerback (Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State) and the #1 rated quarterback (Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M). PLUS, Cleveland acquired the Buffalo Bill’s 2015 first and fifth round picks and lost a 3rd and a 5th round pick this year.
- Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings drafted five 1st round players in the last two drafts (how does that happen?). Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA can be a defensive end or strong side OLB. Barr is the type of player that will have double digit sacks, plus a high total of tackles. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville might be able to start week one. Bridgewater looks a lot like a young Aaron Rogers.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Landing a top tier cornerback with the 24th pick is a steal. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St, is a great pick this late in the first round.
- Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles needed a 3-4 OLB pass rusher and they drafted Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville with their first round selection. Smith has good talent and good sack totals in college, but he could have been drafted later. The Eagles did trade down in this round, and the also acquired a 3rd round pick. Oddly enough, I had Smith mocked to the Eagles, but at #89 overall. So this trade-down is essentially worth two 3rd round draft picks.
- Detroit Lions: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina is the top rated tight end in this draft class, but they should have drafted defense first. Adding Ebron to a loaded offense could open things up for Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush, but it can also mean subtracting catches from those stars. Top 10 pick for a tight end is a little of a reach
- Kansas City Chiefs: Dee Ford, DE, Auburn has a lot of talent, but also has back problems (and he is a little outspoken). Plus, KC already has two Pro Bowl players at the position Ford will play (Hali and Houston). Could Tamba Hali be traded or cut before the season begins?
NONE. Every section in this first round was very good and impressive. This draft, from top to bottom, is loaded with talent and every prospect chosen will help their team. This is probably the best looking first round in a long time. The only prospect drafted that will get the short end of the media stick is Justin Gilbert of the Cleveland Browns, as Johnny Manziel will attract all the immediate media attention. Yet Gilbert is the #2 cornerback on the Browns and he will be learning from pro bowl CB Joe Haden, which is a major bonus.